The Olomouc Centre for Ecological Activities was founded and has developed thanks to support from the City of Olomouc dating back to 1992. The City of Olomouc is the owner of the low-energy building and the 15-hectare educational bio-centre. The activities of the non-profit Sluňákov organisation are aimed at fostering relationships between man and the natural environment.
We offer schools a wide selection of programmes focussed on ecology, the natural sciences and historical and other social science issues related to human activities in the environment. The programmes place an emphasis on encouraging participants to search for their own solutions to problems. By expressing their knowledge and opinions in front of a group, participants learn to work together to find common solutions. Participants learn basic skills for existing in the natural environment. Lessons take place at Sluňákov’s 15-hectare educational bio-centre, which features a pond, pools, meadows, and a newly founded species-rich forest. Knowledge gained from lessons for students is then used for practical seminars for teachers.
- weeklong courses with accommodations in our new low-energy facility with classrooms and multipurpose hall
- daylong educational programmes for all types of schools
- single-day field trips to the most interesting locations in the region from a natural science and historical perspective
- seminars for teachers
- methodology assistance, school projects, and the lending of educational aids for teachers
- extracurricular classes for children and children’s summer camps
- the centre’s activities are an integral part of the regional plan for environmental education and awareness
for the public
We offer the general public opportunities to meet at community conferences for developing responsible relationships between man and the natural environment and for searching for active solutions to ecological problems. We provide interested parties information regarding regional nature sites, the state of the environment, and the latest scientific information in this field.
- information concerning the environment and ecological consulting, a film collection, library, and public Internet access in the lobby of the and public Internet access in the entrance hall to the centre
- activities in the field, hiking and cycling trips, excursions to the most interesting nature sites in the region
- exhibitions, social and cultural events
- ecological evenings – a regular cycle of public forums focused on environmental protection issues
- Olomouc Ecology Days – the largest ecological festival in the Czech Republic
- volunteer centre – the possibility to become actively engaged in the centre’s activities
- co-operation on social and environmental projects such as the campaign promoting ecological waste management, the Week of Spiritual Health, Construction and Architecture Days, the Flora Theatre Festival, European Mobility Week and many others
recreation, accommodations, facility rentals
The new low-energy building in Horka nad Moravou offers accommodations directly at the centre for parties interested in pleasant, tranquil, modest, and inexpensive accommodations in close contact with the Litovel Morava River Basin protected landscape area. Tourists can take advantage of bicycle trails and a great number of culturally and historically interesting sites in the surrounding area. These include historical Olomouc, the military fort in Křelov, the the Haná vernacular architecture museum in Příkazy, the pilgrimage site of Svatý Kopeček, chateaux in Náměšť na Hané and Úsov, castles in Šternberk, Bouzov and Sovinec, caves in Mladeč and Javoříčko, the Olomouc Zoo, and many others. The building is also equipped to host various educational events. Your stay with us supports our non-profit activities.
- accommodations with a capacity of 45 beds for the general public and for weekend stays for adults, children, and organisations. Facility rentals for hosting company tourism events, seminars, courses, and additional special activities for the public. Our multipurpose hall equipped with a data projector holds up to 120 people
- a two classrooms with a data projector hold up to 30 people. Also available are a kitchen, fire pit, bio-centre with pond, and a grass sports pitch
- a retail shop with environmental information and the sale of books, souvenirs, local products, organic and Fair Trade foods, and light refreshments
- bike and boat rentals, environmental education and awareness teaching aids, etc.